10 Simple Ways to Relieve Stress
1. Laughter is truly the best medicine. Studies show that it helps to relieve physical tension, reduce stress and even increases your immune system.
2. Eat that banana. Thanks to the high levels of potassium found in this wonder fruit, they help to regulate our blood pressure when we’re stressed out.
3. Pucker up… Not only does kissing help you burn a few extra calories, your brain releases a surge of a happy elixir of feel-good chemicals like serotonin, dopamine, and oxytocin. At the same time, the stress hormone, cortisol is drastically decreased.
4. Wash them dishes. New studies have proven that this mundane chore, is actually very therapeutic. Concentrating on the task and aspects such as the smell of the soap, is a form of relaxation. Not forgetting the self-esteem boost you get from completing a task successfully.
5. Get a song stuck in your head. Humming the tune of your favourite song, can radically slow down your heart rate, while relaxing your face, neck and shoulder muscles.
6. Create a sanctuary. Your bedroom should be a refuge where you can have that much-needed peace and tranquillity. Declutter your space, simplicity is key.
7. Smell the peace. Each scent has its specific benefits, such as Lavender will help you sleep, Pine can alleviate stress, Jasmine may ease depression and Sandalwood can help calm anxieties. So go ahead, buy that candle or burn some incense…it will not only make your room smell great.
8. Swap your coffee for a cup of tea. One study has shown that drinking black tea daily, assists in lowering post-stress cortisol levels and increases feelings of relaxation.
9. Add more crunch to your diet. Many people use food as a stress reduces, with more likely leads to some seriously unhealthy eating habits. Swap your chips and chocolates for some carrot sticks or a few almonds, by working your jaw muscles, this will help relieve stress.
10. Get off your chair. When at work, step away from your desk every 30-60min. Stand up, move around your office or get a beverage…just move away from your workstation.